NATIONAL BOOK LOVERS DAY
Observed each year on August 9, (and sometimes on the first Saturday in November) bibliophiles get to celebrate on National Book Lovers Day!
A day for all those who love to read, National Book Lovers Day encourages you to find your favorite reading place, a good book (whether it be fiction or non-fiction) and read the day away.
Bibliophile – a person who has a great appreciation for or collects books.
Let’s step back in time for a minute:
- The very first books used parchment or vellum (calf skin) for the book pages.
- The book covers were made of wood and often covered with leather.
- The books were fitted with clasps or straps.
- Public libraries appeared in the Middle Ages.
- Books in public libraries were often chained to a bookshelf or a desk to prevent theft.
Book manufacturing’s recent development included digital printing. Book pages are printed using toner rather than ink. Digital printing opens up the possibility of print-on-demand, where no books are printed until after an order is received from a customer.
E-books are rapidly increasing in popularity. E-book (electronic book) refers to a book-length publication in digital form. They are usually available through the internet. However, can also be found on CD-ROM and other forms. E-books are read either by computer or via a portable book display device known as an e-book reader, such as a Reader, Nook or Kindle.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Sit back, relax and READ! Jody’s Gourmet Popcorn is the perfect snack while you become immersed in a legendary adventure. Use #NationalBookLoversDay to post on social media and spread the word.